Alternatives to Halloween candy don’t have to be a downer.
We know that sugar tastes great — but, not all trick-or-treaters are able to enjoy many popular treats found in stores at this time of year.
‘Treats’ that offer an element of fun and surprise can be even more spooktacular and memorable!
With both parents and kids in mind, we set out in search of the best alternatives to Halloween candy.
We didn’t feel just any inexpensive Halloween toy would do. In our search, it was important to us to find Halloween ‘Treats’ both ghouls and boys would enjoy — and that parents wouldn’t immediately throw away.
FUN ALTERNATIVES TO HALLOWEEN CANDY
• A caramel apple
When it comes to Halloween sweets, at least this one comes with a serving of whole fruit!
• A mini bottle of water or juice box [100% juice] wrapped in a fun Halloween printable
• Fruit leather [100% fruit]
• Pre-packaged fruit slices
• Pre-packaged crackers with a string cheese
• An apple cider or hot chocolate envelope
Kids love having their own money to spend, but they don’t often know how to earn it.
• Glow-in-the-dark cups, fangs, goo, necklaces, Silly Bandz
• Chapstick/lip gloss
Look for fun seasonal ‘flavors.’
• Gliders like this Halloween Glider from Oriental Trading
Kids will get a kick out of seeing whose glider can fly the farthest!
• Quality Halloween themed crayons
Skip the dollar store. You can find inexpensive options from quality brands, like Crayola.
• Halloween-themed reusable plastic cups [available at most stores for around $0.99/each]
• Mini bottle of scented lotion
• Mini Halloween card games
• Punch balloons/punch balls like this Skeleton Punch Ball from Oriental Trading
• Stretchable flyers like these Stretchable Flying Bats from Oriental Trading
• Sticky wall tumblers
• Mini flashlights on a rope
These are especially great for Trick-or-Treating!
Halloween is also a GREAT time to let your own kids pick out a new toothbrush and toothpaste.
When it comes to edible Halloween treats, smaller portions that contain less sugar are always better.